FEEDBACK: Millarworld Script.

Towards the end of last year, I entered the Millarworld Annual Competition and had to use one of Mark Millar's characters in a short story (4-5 pages depending on which character you used.) I chose Hit-Girl for my story. It was pretty much the first idea I thought of that I ended up writing, tweaking it a few times from the original idea and fleshing it out until I ended up with a story I was happy with. For those of you who haven't read it, you can read the script here.

The cool thing with this competition was the admins decided shortly after the comp ended that they would give feedback to anyone requesting it. I put my name in for feedback and received some yesterday. It wasn't at all what I was expecting to hear considering I lost. That's really the only feedback I needed from the competition. It wasn't good enough to win... However, what Patrick (the man charged with judging the Hit-Girl entries) said surprised me. This was what Patrick said:

Click to enlarge


So, the one thing I can take away from this is... I didn't write a bad script as such. Despite blowing up a dog.


Looking at it now, I don't know if I should feel better or worse knowing I got as close as the "round of 30 or so", either. I suppose getting that close without any sort of editorial direction is an achievement of sorts... And it is nice to have feedback regardless of whether it's good or bad. This one, though, I don't know what to take away from it. As far as I can see, there's no criticism/advice on what I need to improve to get me to that top spot... Not blowing up dogs? Maybe.

If you're familiar with my work, you'll know I like to go balls to the wall with whatever I'm writing... So I'll probably blow up more dogs before I'm through.

Only time will tell...



FEEDBACK: Millarworld Script. FEEDBACK: Millarworld Script. Reviewed by Lurker on 08:41:00 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.